Managing configurations across redundant management modules
In modular switches with redundant management modules, the VCS configuration, the startup configuration, and the startup database are synchronized and shared between the two management modules. The initial configuration synchronization occurs when the system boots up. After the initial synchronization has been completed successfully, synchronization can be triggered during the following events:
- When a failover occurs from the active management module to the standby management module. Unsaved configuration changes made on the active management module are lost after a failover. Issue the copy running-config startup-config command on the active management module to preserve the running configuration across a management module failover.
- When you insert a standby management module into a chassis after the active management module is already fully initialized.
- When you change the startup configuration by issuing the copy running-config startup-config command on the active management module.
- When you restore the default configuration by issuing the copy default-config startup-config command on the active management module.
- When you change the VCS configuration (VCS mode, RBridge ID, or VCS ID), the configuration change is synchronized with the standby management module and saved persistently. This event triggers a chassis reboot after the synchronization is complete.
- When you initiate a firmware download. Refer to Configuration Management for more information.