Replacing a line card
You can remove a line card without powering it off. However, doing so will not remove the configuration. When you replace a card with a different type, you must first remove the configuration and then reconfigure the slot for the new line card type.
Install a new line card only if it is supported by the firmware running in the chassis. Inserting a line card into a chassis running firmware that does not support the line card may result in unexpected behavior.
Complete the following steps to replace a line card.
Removing the configuration requires the card to be powered off.
- Power off the line card by issuing the power-off linecard command followed by the slot number.
- Enter the configure terminal command to enter global configuration mode.
- Enter the rbridge-id rbridge-id command to enter RBridge ID configuration mode.
- Enter the no linecard slot_number command to clear the slot configuration.
- Remove the line card.
- Enter the linecard slot_number command followed by a question mark (?) to display the line card menu.
- Select a line card type and enter the linecard slot_number linecard_type command.
- Enter the exit command twice to return to privileged EXEC mode.
- Insert the new line card into the configured slot.
- Enter the power-on linecard command to power on the line card.
- Save the configuration persistently by issuing the copy running-config startup-config command after the line card reaches the online state.
Verify the configuration with the
show running-config linecard
switch# power-off linecard 4 switch# configure terminal Entering configuration mode terminal switch(config)# rbridge-id 1 switch(config-rbridge-id-1)# no linecard 4 switch(config-rbridge-id-1)# linecard 4 ? Possible completions: LC12x40G 12X40G linecard LC48x1G 48X1G linecard LC48x10G 48X10G linecard LC72x1G 72X1G linecard LC48x10GT 48X10G Base-T linecard LC27X40G 27X40G linecard LC6X100G 6X100G linecard switch(config-rbridge-id-1)# linecard 4 LC48x10G Creating new linecard configuration was successful. switch(config-rbridge-id-1)# exit switch(config)# exit switch# copy running-config startup-config switch# show running-config rbridge-id 4 linecard rbridge-id 1 linecard 1 LC48x10G linecard 4 LC48x10G