Brocade Security Advisory
A privilege escalation vulnerability in Brocade Fibre Channel SAN products running Brocade Fabric OS (FOS) releases earlier than v7.4.1d and v8.0.1b could allow an authenticated, attacker to elevate the privileges of user accounts accessing the system via command line interface. With affected versions, non-root users can gain root access with a combination of shell commands and parameters.
Products Confirmed Not Vulnerable
No other Brocade products are currently known to be affected by this vulnerability.
Brocade has fixed the vulnerability described in this advisory in Brocade Fibre Channel SAN products running Brocade Fabric OS (FOS) FOS v7.4.1d and later, Brocade FOS v8.0.1b and later releases. The patch releases have been posted to the MyBrocade web portal.
Minimizing exposure to this vulnerability can be done by the following means:
- Tightly control list of operators and administrators accessing the switch via CLI and other management interfaces;
- Using firewall and ipfilter to limit access to switch CLI interface from trusted hosts only.
- If you have not done so in the past, change all Brocade default account passwords, including the root passwords, from the default factory passwords.
- Delete guest accounts and temporary accounts created for one-time usage needs.
- Utilize FOS password policy management to strengthen the complexity, age, and history requirements of switch account passwords.
Brocade strongly recommends that all customers running the impacted version(s) install the patch.
This vulnerability was found during internal security testing.
THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN AS-IS BASIS SOLELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTY OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED HEREIN IS BASED ON BROCADE'S CURRENT KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE VULNERABILITY AND IMPACT TO BROCADE HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE PRODUCTS. BROCADE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS DOCUMENT AT ANY TIME.